ECO Entitlement: Could you be eligible for a free boiler?
The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government backed scheme, put in place in 2013 to help address fuel poverty issues within the UK. Through the scheme, those who are eligible could be entitled to a 100% grant for a brand-new boiler installation – with further options for partial funding for those who don’t meet the full criteria.
The funding for the installations doesn’t come from the government and in fact is funded by the Big 6 energy companies – British Gas, Npower, SSE, Scottish Power, E.ON and EDF. This creates a legal obligation for the large fuel companies to ensure your house is as energy efficient as possible – and decrease your energy costs!
What are the latest ECO updates?
As with many funding and finance schemes, budgets are reviewed annually and changes can be made to the overall offering and eligibility criteria. In the most recent budget update, the criteria amounts have seen an increase – which is great news for those who were initially on the threshold.
The threshold for income you can earn and still qualify if you receive Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit has increased, from £15,860 to £16,010.
Better still, the scheme – which was originally only set to run until 2015 – has been extended to 2018, offering you the chance to get your new boiler before the deadline.
If you’re unsure whether there are any changes to the criteria, give us a call and we can help assess whether you reach the given criteria of that funding period.
What is the eligibility criteria?
If you are a homeowner or live in privately rented accommodation (and have your landlord’s permission) in England, Wales or Scotland, you reach the first stage of the criteria.
Because the scheme is designed to help those most vulnerable to fuel poverty, you must be in receipt of the one of the following qualifying benefits to be considered for the funding;
- Child Tax Credit (on an income of £16,101 or less)
- Working Tax Credit (on an income of £16,010 or less)
- Universal Credit (with a monthly earned income of £1,250 or less in any assessment period in the last 12 months)
- Pension Credit
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
For anyone in receipt of Income Support, Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance or Working Tax Credit, the following conditions will apply;
- You have a child who is less than 16 years old (or less than 20 years old if still in education) living at the property
- You’re aged 60 and above (if claiming Working Tax Credit)
- You are in receipt of Disabled Child Premium or Disability Premium
- You get a Pensioner Premium
- You have a Work-Related Activity or Support Component (in relation to Income-based Job Seeker’s)
If you are in receipt of Universal Credit with a monthly earned income of £1250 or less in any assessment period in the last 12 months, one of the follow must also apply;
- You have a child under 16 living at the property
- You have a child under 20 in full-time education (not university) living at the property
- You have limited capability for work and/or work related activities
- You get a Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- You get a Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
What measures do The Greener Group install?
Through the ECO scheme, we currently offer support and installations for off-gas heating replacements – typically oil and LPG. If your current boiler is less than 86% efficient or is 8 years old or more, you will qualify for the replacement the boiler grant through ECO – if you meet the previously mentioned benefit criteria.
Applying is quick and simple
If you think you may be eligible for the ECO scheme funding, getting confirmation and starting your installation is quick and simple – just provide us with your postcode and evidence of your benefit contributions and we can confirm over the phone whether you’re eligible.
We can then arrange an experienced engineer to survey the property and advise what replacements the grant will cover and on any further costs you may have to pay (if you don’t qualify for a 100% grant contribution).
Contact the office today to start the process – (01244) 405285.